Ryustaris Publish time 2013-4-8 00:29:56

Skill Shortcuts and Interface

In result of what some are discussing about the skill shortcuts, changes to the interface etc, i think that there is a fine solution, easy to apply and would make happy to everyone.

I think the 3 button to the right was designed following the "Android games model", because you intend to take this game to that plataform too, so changing this for the pc version, would create a disadvantage when playing with your celphone because having the very known mmorpg skill bar would be unconfortable to play with a touch screen pad!

So i thought, keep this interface, but just to add shortcuts to the 9 skills we allready have chosen.. and map it to the keyborad.

It could be "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" or, thinking that in pvp we will need always our right hand in the mouse it would be better a "1 2 3 4 5 q w e r"

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8105/keyboradr.png
(This are not my actual skills, i just add some with paint, so dont flame!)

The thing is that you see your shortcuts when maping them in the Ability section, but in the normal interface you dont (it remains the same, the only thing added is the shortcuts, so as the devs dont have much work to do and its fast to implement).

The Numbers+QWER i think would be the better for one-hand-skilling because as this is an action rpg the right hand will be in the mouse (because i dont think the WASD movement is good for this kind of games), then also for eg. the spacebar for loot picking, TAB remains for togle the skills visualy, and enter for the chat interface when added.

mido_raizen11 Publish time 2013-4-8 01:41:18

Edited by mido_raizen11 at 2013-4-7 14:42

2 sets with 5 skills each is a better solution.
With your method I believe  people will still be confused.
I know that 2x5 probably won't work well on iOS, but it's the perfect solution for pc/mac users.  
And watching how many people voted for the 2x5 I think the're gonna go with that one.

Ryustaris Publish time 2013-4-8 03:07:28

I know, i also like the skill bar (the keys maped to them can be either full number or alfanumeric) my idea was intended to be fast to me implemented, and to mantain a balance between pc and iOS.

mido_raizen11 Publish time 2013-4-8 03:39:02

Edited by mido_raizen11 at 2013-4-7 16:40

Yea, I think your idea can be implemented relatively fast, but it doesn't look like a final solution to the problem. I honestly don't know how they'll do to maintain the balance within different platforms. Well, the only platform with that problem will be cellphones, the Ipad can handle perfectly the 2x5.

Origami Publish time 2013-4-8 18:28:36

Yeah, remember that game doesn't have that many skills. And with limited energy ammount having more than 5 just doesn't make much sense. I suggested 2 slots more for healing or buff, because almost everyone use 3 attack skills at once. More than 5 will be confusing in my opinion.

Ryustaris Publish time 2013-4-9 03:33:51

Yes, but remember its going to be pvp right? and i would like to have more keys to press because im guessing im not fighting a Prowess in the same way im fighting a Cunning or a Tank.

Biggs Publish time 2013-5-27 01:32:21

I'd go with a 1 2 3 Q W E system. Q brings up the first set of skills, W the second, and E the third. 1, 2, and 3 activate the 3 skills in each set.

Jmb301530 Publish time 2013-9-22 20:49:05

I'd totally be fine with either method, the only thing I'm aggravated about right now is how when you switch a skill set, it starts your CD on the skills your switching to...make my Fort die alot sometimes :S

endafresh Publish time 2013-9-28 06:58:27

No PvP in this game.  Please.
Keep it co-op only.  If you want PvP there are more than enough games out there to suit your needs.
PvP ends up only ruining balance and fun for the community.  Even the PvP'ers are unhappy with constant buffs/nerfs to their favorite skills that they stop playing and go back to LoL or whatever.

WarFrame is a test case for this.  Purely co-op game ruined by the addition of PvP.  Now the forums are filled with neckbeards crying for buffs and nerfs to certain skills that worked fine in PvE and actually benefited the group (and the insane challenges that higher nightmare modes would provide).  Now the game is much harder without such support.
And they nerfed several of the frames (classes I guess) into the ground so that everyone who leveled and used them has basically wasted their time doing so.  Many people left because of this.

SO NO PVP PLEASE.  Focus on CONTENT and PVE CONTENT and we will keep playing :)
As a bonus, lack of pvp means zero pay to win issues and zero headaches from people crying about class balance.
Pages: [1]
View full version: Skill Shortcuts and Interface