Ryvian Publish time 2013-4-24 05:40:25

[Suggestion] General suggestions & balance

Edited by Ryvian at 2013-4-24 13:54

Character I played is the Hunter, reached level cap and finished the last area, and so I'd like to comment on a few things

First up: Bugs
- Enemies that get stuck off map. This happens fairly often, even though monsters often come in reinforcements off map, there is a fairly annoying quantity of enemies getting stuck off the side of cliffs, walls, ditches etc that don't seem to know how to get back into reachable terrain. Area 1-2 seems to have an egregrious amounts of these with a few in area 3, especially the outdoor areas.
- Enemies disappearing/turning invisible yet still able to attack. This doesn't happen as often, and usually happens after spamming meteor, and the enemies become untargetable and unclickable in addition to being invisible. Auto attack seems to have no trouble finding them but you can't manually attack the enemy. So far it happened to me only in area 6, the last map.
- Boss with bugged AI making them unable to attack. Their meteor spells that don't even damage you (I've read they damage themselves with it instead?). These are rather pressing issues as it makes them trivial to deal with.
- Login/Logout error: Sometimes, when logging out, the game is unable to logout properly and you can't log back in. This is a pain because there IS NO EXIT BUTTON IN THE CHARACTER SELECTION PAGE. You can't log back in to exit the game so you're forced to minimise the game and close the window, or force exit/force close the program.
- Items getting stuck when moved between slots in your inventory: Wow, this one is a major pain. Sometimes when you drag an item around in your inventory and you let go of the item between actual slots, the item gets stuck there, and if you're lucky, the item can be moved back to a valid slot location, but if you're not, the item seems to "fall through" your inventory, leaving a translucent item stuck in your inventory that cannot be selected, that cannot be sold, or removed from your inventory.
- Unable to autoattack after casting meteor/stuck in a running animation after casting meteor: This one is rather strange, for some reason, occasionally, when casting meteor, your character loses the ability to auto attack until given a new attack command. It's not a big deal so whatever, but the strangest part is sometimes your character is stuck looking like he's running, but he's not going anywhere, just running in place. It's pretty funny to watch actually.
- Summoner Shimizu: Instead of buying/summoning/hiring a pet, the tooltip says sell instead. She may be SELLING it to you, but you sure ain't selling it to her.
- Disconnection during high enemy concentration battles.
EDITS
- The symbol for elemental damage on weapons, amulets and rings have a shield symbol on them instead.

UI Suggestions
- An EXIT GAME button in the character selection menu
- Better yet, a MENU/CONFIGURATIONS/OPTIONS button in the character selection page
- Separate tab in the shop for rings and amulets.
- Allow shop to organize items in terms of level, rarity and or cost.
- Also allow automatic organization of inventory based on level, rarity and or value.
- Display total armor values + the bonus you get from armor increasing attributes.
- Unless there are plans to increase the damage from critical attacks, the number is redundant. You can simply remove the number and instead add a tooltip explaining that critical attacks increase damage by 150%. If you do have plans for increased critical hit damage, I look forward to it.
- Additional tooltips on mana regen/HP regen rate in the character screen would be useful given that items, mastery bonus and skill can all contribute to mana or HP regen.
- The tooltip on Meteor III should indicate that it slows targets.
- Character screen could also indicate your class, which it currently does not
- Show damage type: (fire/explosive/cold/lightning) of skills should they apply.
- Show threat level of entire area when highlighted. Not necessarily a priority, but it would help to see which areas are not currently overrun yet, assuming people play multiple areas at once hahaha.

Ryvian Publish time 2013-4-24 06:50:56

Edited by Ryvian at 2013-4-23 18:56

Balance
- Damage on Magjaw Spitfires is too high. from Area 4: Bloodfang Fort, Mission 1: Going Under is pure ludicrous. Currently dealing 1105 damage on my level capped character. I have 53 armor, and 15% damage reduction, but still, that's just way too much damage.
- 0 second cooldown on Jubboko Nest summoning of minions is broken. Its completely senseless, at a level where you're barely able to complete the missions, the constant outpouring of creatures is just way too much. Skills like Meteor causes the tree to spam non stop new minions. In fact, you can kill multiple waves of them and rack up huge 20+ kill sprees just by dropping meteors, but you still can't get close to the tree, because when you do, you get whacked by all 4 Pickle Heads simultaneously, every time. It's like taking 600-800 damage everytime you manage to kill a whole wave. When you massively outlevel the area, it becomes a joke where meteor just racks up kill numbers. It needs at least a 5 second cooldown.
- Boss damage is too low. On a general level, 2 regular monsters out-DPS a boss and that's just really sad. Bosses have nice unique looks, but that's about it, they're over glorified goons with big HP pools. Especially on Overrun mode which bosses and minibosses become tiresome and tedious rather than exciting or dangerous.
- Chi Mending is too strong/Is always necessary: The game has become pretty trivial once I maxed out Chi Mending and I barely die unless I did something stupid and got cornered, or lag deathed. Like I said before I play Hunter. I'm maxed out on Medium armor, got some bonus mana regen going on 1 item, and some bonus mana on rings and amulet. The setup is pretty decent, not the best, but it works, and Chi Mending is too good to pass up. With 9 skill slots you can switch through, it's always good to have Chi Mending on at least 1 of them. My advice, don't nerf the healing effect, just add a cooldown to it so you can't spam healing.
- Overrun loot drop not significantly better than lower difficulty level. At least it's not particularly noticeable, and the speed at which I can do Area 6 on Medium threat versus Overrun is outrageously faster, and less risky. Unless of course the only thing that changes in terms of rewards is the mission complete rewards and not actual drop rates which I probably erroneously assumed. Well I guess that gives you guys a suggestion right there :D.
- Damage reduction scaling is painfully low. A suggestion here is to go with simple diminishing return algorithm on armor and damage mitigation. Allow players early on to stack armor in order to reduce damage.

Gameplay Suggestions:
- More Hidden Areas! I found 1 so far in Bloodfang Fort and it was nice since it didn't show on the map/minimap. Only problem is, it's no fun going into a "secret" area if you're not guaranteed to find loot
- Sneaky Looters should drop interesting loot when killed. Currently, they don't do anything so it's kind of boring even when you managed to chase them down and kill them. Not sure if this will turn into Diablo III's infamous Goblin Hunting exploit as people play a level until they kill the looter, leave, then start over again and again until they get rare items, but I'm sure you can balance them better than Blizzard did without taking the fun out of hunting them down and killing them.
-
-To be continued

Origami Publish time 2013-4-24 07:14:21

Although devs are looking into forums, you may want to send your suggestions directly to the zendesk. It's their support system, and it would be easier for them to access and you may be sure that it won't get lost there: http://support.spicyhorse.com/anonymous_requests/new

And there's some info you may find interesting. I may be missing something though as I'm not a part of development team. I may recall something wrongly or things may have changed until I heard about them. Anyway, there you go:

Item sorting options are already planned for a longer while so they will come in future.

Total armor value stat is completely useless stat because damage reduction formula ich much more complicated, moreover the armor attributes are probably +% based, so it's a mess that wouldn't be neither accessible nor understandable to more casual players, so I'm afraid it's not going to happen.

Critical attack is variable number. You can increase it by dueling mastery (single one-handed weapon). Probably more options to increase it are to come.

I think that class info on Character screen is not really needed because the point is to have access to all skill trees, so there's no definite classes. And you have different portrait for each class, blue for Cunning, green for Fortitude and red for Prowess. In my opinion it's useful enough.

Tooltips are hard to code and thus currently have low priority over new features that are to come. Moreover, some of them have also a issue similiar to damage reduction - they're too complicated to be usefull. The main idea behind game was to play the game, not to use spreadsheets. But it's a pretty common request so it probably will happen in some form somewhere in the future anyway. Maybe upcoming movement to the new version of unity engine will make that a little easier.

And I support your idea of separate tabs for amulets and rings and option button in character selection screen.

Ryvian Publish time 2013-4-24 08:15:50

Item sorting options are already planned for a longer while so they will come in future.
Sweet! Can't wait.

Total armor value stat is completely useless stat because damage reduction formula ich much more complicated, moreover the armor attributes are probably +% based, so it's a mess that wouldn't be neither accessible nor understandable to more casual players, so I'm afraid it's not going to happen.
I'm quite aware that damage mitigation formulas are usually complicated, but it doesn't have to be. The reason I wanted a total armor value is simply have it as a shortcut, rather than manually counting how much armor I have on all my armor pieces individually. I can discuss armor/damage reduction and damage mitigation on a separate thread, but a player doesn't usually have to know how much each point of armor offers in terms damage reduction, but that more armor gives more protection.

Critical attack is variable number. You can increase it by dueling mastery (single one-handed weapon). Probably more options to increase it are to come.
I see! Didn't know that since I was using two handed weapons. Alright, guess that validates the reason it's there.

I think that class info on Character screen is not really needed because the point is to have access to all skill trees, so there's no definite classes. And you have different portrait for each class, blue for Cunning, green for Fortitude and red for Prowess. In my opinion it's useful enough.
Point taken.

Tooltips are hard to code and thus currently have low priority over new features that are to come. Moreover, some of them have also a issue similiar to damage reduction - they're too complicated to be usefull. The main idea behind game was to play the game, not to use spreadsheets. But it's a pretty common request so it probably will happen in some form somewhere in the future anyway. Maybe upcoming movement to the new version of unity engine will make that a little easier.
I'll have to disagree with that. If warranted, tooltips can be optional, and turned on or off in the options, but I believe they have a strong place in a game, as a guide for beginners and as a reference for players who enjoy depth and number crunching. The few tooltips I mentioned aren't scary numbers with difficult to understand meanings, and I don't grasp what you mean by too complicated to be useful. They're useful to those who want to see them, and they aren't for those who don't care for numbers.
- HP Regen rate is useful to know whether or not regen is even a useful stat versus your total HP pool and individual attack damage from an enemy.
- Mana regen rate is useful to know how big a spell combo you can pull off with a limited mana pool
- Tooltip on Meteor is useful, since you'd want to know before taking the skill, whether or not it's worth dumping 16000 gold into a skill upgrade that doesn't increase in base damage.
- Tooltip on damage type is not useful yet, because some features haven't been implemented yet
I don't see how such information are not useful or too complicated.

And I support your idea of separate tabs for amulets and rings and option button in character selection screen.

Thanks for the reply, made a few edits and to my second post and a short edit to my first post.

Ryvian Publish time 2013-4-24 11:07:09

Edited by Ryvian at 2013-4-23 22:30

Some images of some of the stuff I noticed and a bug.

Summoner Shimizu wants to sell us a pet, but is sending us mixed messages.

In the meantime, increase in lightning damage seem to indicate instead an increase in defense against lightning damage according to the shield symbol.

Closing inventory sometimes causes the last item you highlighted to persist.

Me getting trounced by a Magjaw Spitfire (I'm level capped with 4k hp) hitting me at 5 times the damage the monsters around me deal, and 3 times harder than the boss of the level does.

Origami Publish time 2013-4-24 19:57:16

Ryvian replied at 2013-4-24 01:15 static/image/common/back.gif
Thanks for the reply, made a few edits and to my second post and a short edit to my first post.

Well, I wasn't talking about all of them, but part would have some crazy percentage numbers that could give a headache to some players. Especially the things like damage info or stat increase. I was rather explaining why it was originally omitted, not why there's no need for them.

But sure, mana/HP regen is not that complicated, so is damage type info. There are many requests for such things, so they probably will come. But rather later than sooner - to much effort into coding for such small change. Devs are now focused on kickstarter stuff and new features such as multiplayer and crafting system and I think that's rather good thing.

Info about slowing targets is just an description not related to mechanics, so that one should be easy to edit.

Personally, I would love to see the timer on buffs from abilities and foods. Maybe after kickstarter things will be done.

Ryvian Publish time 2013-4-24 23:52:32

Edited by Ryvian at 2013-4-24 11:11

Timer durations are kinda iffy for me. The number of buffs I have next to my portrait is already between 8-10 icons, and adding timers to the buffs would probably add some more clutter to that, unless they revamp the whole buffs thing.

Some buffs like Weapon Mastery Buffs and Armor Mastery Buffs are currently a bit redundant, and I think a bit unnecessary if the proper indications are added to the character page. Also a bit redundant is the fact that the Mastery buffs show both Level III and Level IV simultaneously for some reason. Not sure if I'm getting twice the bonus, or if it's simply a bug that causes both buff icons to appear.

It'd ne nice if they simply added the buff durations to the skill's description in the window instead.

Ryvian Publish time 2013-4-28 23:20:29

Continued:
Gameplay Suggestions
- An NPC in town that hands out bounty requests or a bounty hunter's office/guild in town. In addition to finding wanted monsters in a regular run, limited time bounty hunting requests can be dispatched at a moments notice in areas that you have already beaten before.

This bounty is gonna be higher than regular wanted bounty values because of the time limit to find and kill in the monster in a given area. A base bounty is assigned to the monster. This bounty is increased depending on the Threat level of the mission you entered.

Ranks of initial bounty from Relatively Harmless to Cataclysmic class bounties increase in values and rarity from the dispatcher. The higher the danger rating of the bounty you're after, the less time you have to track him down, since the more dangerous they are, the more wary and intelligent the monster.

Monster often times several scales stronger than nearby mobs, with their own mini-entourage like bosses. Should actually be difficult to fight since it's optional.

Other consideration like bounty hunter rank, bounty hunter score, and unique rewards for different tiers of bounty hunter based on the score, and rank.
Pages: [1]
View full version: [Suggestion] General suggestions & balance