SpicyWorld Forum

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
View: 1070|Reply: 6

Suggested improvement to the UX [Copy link]

Post time 2015-8-9 23:49:49 |Show all posts
Edited by Axiomatic at 2015-8-9 23:53

User interface design in games is often the red headed step child of the design process. Its so easy to get lost in the content and forget about or rush through how that content is delivered and navigated. No game is perfect in this regard but some are better than others and often times its the community of players who, by using the interface exponentially more than the developer, can help point out areas that could use improvement. So with that said, here are a few areas that could use improvement for the iOS app. Feel free to add your own to this thread, hopefully someone at Spicy World will see it.

Upgrading a Disciple (not on your combat deck)
Realm Screen > Disciples > All Disciples > Specific Disciple (often after having to scroll through a long list) > Upgrade
This is not too big a deal though scrolling could use some code efficiencies since its slow and choppy, often resetting after a few seconds. The issue comes up AFTER you've picked the feeder cards for upgrading and get booted back to the All Disciples screen instead of back to the Specific Disciple screen. It makes feeding one disciple more than 10 cards a time consuming process. Instead of simply stepping back one level in the interface flow, it steps you back two. I'd suggest just stepping players back one screen to the Specific Disciple
Repeating Guild PVE boss battles
Realm Screen > Guild > Guild PVE Start > Choose Realm > Choose Domain > Start
It takes 6 steps in the interface flow to begin a Guild PVE battle. Since the bosses are tuned so that no one can beat them in a single battle and everyone gets two shots at a boss, everyone just does as much dmg as possible before losing then repeats the battle. And thats fine since its supposed to be a guild accomplishment. The problem with the interface design is that once you lose you are brought back all the way to the realm screen. And then you have to go through the exact same 6 steps to fight your 2nd and last fight against a given boss. This isn't just time consuming, its a laborious, inefficent flow and increasingly annoying. There are already enough content and design problems with guild pve that a poor interface is like adding salt to the wound. I'd suggest stepping players back either 1 screen to the Choose Domain screen.
Selling Equipment (when slots maxed)
Start Hell forge battle > Maxed slot Sell Window > Disciples > Sell > Equipment/Disciples
With only 50 equipment slots and so many ways to get equipment shards, I'm sure everyone has to deal with selling off low level or uneeded equipment shards on a regular basis. The interface issue comes up when you're in Hell Forge mode and start a battle when you are maxed out on slots. A window pops up telling you this and giving you option to sell Disciples or Equipment. When you choose Equipment the player is brought to the Disciples screen where you have to again choose Sell > Equipment, despite the fact that you just chose the same on the pop up window. Again a time consuming and inefficient process. The pop up window should bring you directly to the Sell Equipment screen or the Sell Disciple screen depending on which one is chosen. Saves two steps in the interface flow.

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-10 03:19:21 |Show all posts
i am all for eliminating needless clicks- they just annoy me and usually end up one of the factors contributing to my decicion to turn away from a game at some point- i can uncerstand timesinks etc- but some stuff is just silly and beyond annoying

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-10 05:06:56 |Show all posts
There are some good ideas here, but I'd feel I wasn't performing my role properly if I didn't unpack your guild section a little. Without being rude or personal, I simply think that you are being narrow-minded in your analysis.
1 - Bosses can actually be beat in a single battle - not all bosses and certainly you need an above average team, but still~
2 - Guild Accomplishment. You say this, and I think it's a great phrase. It's the bit before I find to be problematic - unless you are a weak guild that require all members to 2-shot the boss to take it down a single time, the approach you suggest 'everyone' does, is clumsy, inefficient, and actually against the guild accomplishment goal.
If it's a group accomplishment, surely it's more cooperative, and more efficient, and more fair even, perhaps, to only do 1 hit on the boss, then let others take the rest of the hp.
3 - So yes, 1 step back might be smoother for those who need to hit all bosses with the same team, or hit each boss 2x in succession. But actually, they are all different elements and have different skills, so you probably want to go back to the realm screen, so you can adjust your deck for the next boss, or move onto your next activity.

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-10 05:39:48 |Show all posts
I appreciate this post, specifically the upgrading disciples/skills mainly due to the reset that the interface gives. It's such a laborious process and can easily be fixed if, after upgrading, it took you back to the disciple.

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-10 05:41:35 |Show all posts
Sanz of Time replied at 2015-8-9 21:39
I appreciate this post, specifically the upgrading disciples/skills mainly due to the reset that the ...

Yup, definitely one of the stronger points in the post - I have nothing but approval for that bit (hehe)

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-10 05:49:06 |Show all posts
Belzial replied at 2015-8-10 05:41
Yup, definitely one of the stronger points in the post - I have nothing but approval for that bit  ...

I just looked at the List of Listening, it's there.

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-12 18:51:29 |Show all posts

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Archiver|SpicyWorld

2020-8-13 20:35 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.016543 second(s), 10 queries .

To Top