SpicyWorld Forum

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Author: tokay

Critical Announcement - Last Days of Eternity [Copy link]

Post time 2015-8-20 13:44:21 |Show all posts
Despite the depressing setting, I've enjoyed the insights you've given to us players on what happens behind the scene in the game developer side. Usually it's just marketing or manager rants I've read in the blogs discussing the topic, I do read them quite a lot. Thank you big time for the trouble, tokay!

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-20 14:13:59 |Show all posts
diudiuz replied at 2015-8-20 13:44
Despite the depressing setting, I've enjoyed the insights you've given to us players on what happens ...

As they say, "It is what it is."

I don't mind detailing this stuff. Just not a big fan of people telling us, "You should have done XYZ!" Or, "The world works like X!" When those people have no real world experience with the things being discussed.

Oh, and I just saw that I forgot to mention a CS team for the list of "what would a buyer need." We maintain 3 people full-time, two in the US, one here in Shanghai... with me jumping into the CS boat from time to time when things appear too calm or not enough customers are pissed at us

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-20 14:23:01 |Show all posts
with me jumping into the CS boat from time to time when things appear too calm or not enough customers are pissed at us

tis true dat!      
Very insightful dialogue btw  

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-20 15:34:48 |Show all posts
Mister Tokay, thank u  a lot for all this very interesting info, for who really want understand all this makes really very clear the situation.
Yeah sometime i gived advice , and sometime i think i have seemed arsh . (many advised with haert)
We thank u for what u all has done and will do, i really hope the game can stay up at minimal resource consuming.
We thank u coz u created the most complete and enjoing game in mobile system, sure its not perfect, has some bugs, and things can be better. But the game its really of high level. For this reason we are always surprised that the players are not so high. (sadly DeNa politics are the reasons coz many players has gone away)
And yes the videogames industry its very very complicated. Many times i played to games that for me was gr8 but for other has no fun, and i tried some game that had great succes and i said : how someone could even pay 1$ for this.

And shocked me the fact that u have to pay for installs........ it really sucks

Thank u for listening us

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-20 17:32:00 |Show all posts

RE: Critical Announcement - Last Days of Eternity

Belegfuin replied at 2015-8-20 15:34
Mister Tokay, thank u  a lot for all this very interesting info, for who really want understand all  ...

Yeah, marketing costs a lot and is necessary long-term as free boost to visibility fades off fast and even going viral doesn't guarantee a long-term visibility.
Let the last days of The Gate be the best days!

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-20 21:40:15 |Show all posts
Very naively, I had such little understanding of what it takes behind the scene.

Because of my little knowledge in the area I can't contribute anything to help.

However, please understand the gratitude of some regular players. This game may not be resellable, it may not be marketable, it may in fact be worth negative $ from a business perspective.

BUT,
Your formula in gameplay has been unique and enjoyed by gamers.
I'm sharing a comms platform outside of the gate for discussion about the gate. I'm in a very successful guild...  (Contains some moderators in this forum)
And I've witnessed talk about meeting up again to continue our comradeship in diablo 3. Seriously.

This puts the awesome enjoyment brewed in the gate in perspective.

I understand this doesn't help from a business perspective - but please understand the magnitude of gratitude amongst us long time gamers.

Cheers.

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-23 10:00:25 |Show all posts
tokay replied at 2015-8-20 12:51
If you're going to join the conversation, can you please confirm you've read and fully understood  ...

Thank you for the reply. Interesting to know what it would take to lease the game. But I asked what would it take to BUY the game.

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-24 08:16:45 |Show all posts
mmooney00 replied at 2015-8-23 10:00
Thank you for the reply. Interesting to know what it would take to lease the game. But I asked wha ...

Now it's your turn to provide answers. Why are you asking? In your mind, what's the difference between a perpetual license and outright purchase of the IP? What does buying get you that isn't provided in the answers I previously provided.

Trying to understand better where you're coming from so I can provide the correct response.

-a

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-24 19:48:36 |Show all posts
tokay replied at 2015-8-24 08:16
Now it's your turn to provide answers. Why are you asking? In your mind, what's the difference bet ...

The difference being no obligation to or interference from the game's current masters.

Use magic Report

Post time 2015-8-25 08:51:57 |Show all posts
mmooney00 replied at 2015-8-24 19:48
The difference being no obligation to or interference from the game's current masters.

That's what you'd get under a license agreement as well. In fact, The Gate is currently operated under license agreement in three separate regions around the world - Russia, China, and Taiwan. In all three cases the companies who have licensed the game are under no obligation to Spicy Horse, nor do they receive any sort of interference from us.

Not sure what sort of license agreements you have experience with, but when we license one of our games to an outside publisher/operator, the agreements ensure that the licensee has complete control over the game, source code, servers, tools, etc. Truth is, we want nothing to do with the daily business of operating the game in those territories. The problem for us comes the other way-round... in that the licensees very frequently consume a ton of our team's resources asking questions and seeking solutions to problems.

But, for the sake of conversation, if someone did want to buy The Gate, lock-stock-and-barrel, we'd have to enter into formal negotiations with them, and Spicy Horse would be compelled to seek as high a sales price as the market would allow. Since we've never had another company make an official offer, I've never really explored the idea.

So, if you bump into a game company with a legit offer to buy The Gate, let me know. Happy to explore the idea.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Archiver|SpicyWorld

2019-8-19 21:53 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.019800 second(s), 8 queries .

To Top